Monday, August 20, 2012

Pinned It, Then Did It

Well, I sort of did it...

My very first project. Given to my Dada as a gift for Christmas

I am going to assume that most of you are familiar with Pinterest. If not let me put it to you this way, its like a giant bulletin board. A digital catalogue of really good ideas for the next season, recipes, weddings, photography shoots, fashion must-haves, workouts and home decor. See for yourself here.



Browsing through thousands of pictures all in one place is somehow addicting. My best guess is that it has become a modern, grown up fantasyland- a place where mostly females go to dream up her perfect closet, her perfect mate, her perfect wedding, her perfect home, and her perfect life. Pinterest has become an object that helps us to escape our current reality into this illusionary life full of perfects. 


My not-so-perfect attempt at painting a pallet 

Well, I have had enough. No more fantasy. When my heart was convicted that I might be spending too much time in this fantasyland, I told myself that in order to keep on pinning there had to be a compromise. There had to be some justification to keep on visiting this site. So I got to work...

Date Night in a Jar- great gift for a Bachelorette!

The funny thing is that over the last few weeks, while creating some of these projects, I was reminded of the Ultimate Creator. The One that created everything out of nothing. The One that makes beautiful, new things out of ugly, old things. Creating some of these things has brought me closer to the heart of The Love that holds me, holds the world, holds eternity in His hands. 

I think that like most things, Pinterest was created for a good purpose. God himself created, so us creating (to me) seems like a pretty good idea. But unfortunately, our society has turned the contents of Pinterest into another idol. If only I could look like the girl in this picture. If only I could create the perfect meal for my family. If only I could find the perfect soul mate with my perfect wardrobe. 


A fresh perspective. Pinterest is to be used for a place to be inspired, to borrow some really good ideas offered up by others, not a place to dream up a perfect, fantasy life. A place that when inspired, it moves you to action to create something, to push you into the love of the Creator Himself. 

LORD,
You are the Great Creator. You are the Master Artist.
You are the One that created and called it good.
You created man and called it very good.
Thank you that you have given us the ability to create 
meals, art, photography, homes, & families.
Thank you that you are still creating- your work is not yet done.
Thank you that you are making my heart of stone into
a heart of flesh, that worships and draws near to you.
Jesus, thank you that you created a way for us to know the Father-
 while you hung upon a cross, paying for my debts, 
you were building an unshakeable bridge to eternity. 
God, thank you for Pinterest. 
I'm sorry that it has turned into a battlefield of 
conflicting motives and destructive idols.
God I pray for the users of Pinterest. 
I pray that they would see you. 
I pray that they would move into action to create something.
I pray that in the movement of creating with their hands, 
they would sense your presence. 
Thank you that you are good and that I can trust you. 
In Jesus' name,
Amen

Get ready: MnM's, yogurt, banana bread. 
aka Party-in-my-mouth

The projects you've seen in this post were inspired by things that I saw on Pinterest. And with a little blood, sweat and a few extra dollars they came to be. 

Most of these were created while listening to music. I recommend the Gungor station on Pandora. Matt Wertz's 23 Places album. Phil Wickham. Bon Iver. And of course Coldplay. 

Happy Creating :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment