Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Interrupting Joy

I didn't know that my next blog would come so soon. But I guess that's how God works... 


I have a couple of fears that you may not be aware of. First, I don't like to be alone. I am (according to Myers-Briggs) a born extravert. Secondly, I don't like to sing, let alone sing in front of people, let alone listen to myself sing. But somehow, tonight, both of those fears were destroyed, or I'm one step closer to destroying them. 


At 3rd Wednesday at RockHARBOR (a prayer and worship night at the church I attend) I had planned on sitting with people that I knew and to make a long story short that didn't happen. Instead I was forced to sit there and focus on the Lord solely. Not only did I experience the Lord's presence but I also got to pray with and for people that I wouldn't have been able to had I been sitting with my friends! What a blessing it is to bless others!


Before we sang the last worship song of the night, we were reminded as a group, that God calls us His children and to have faith like children. We were challenged as a body to return to the joy of God's great news- that His Son, Jesus, sacrificed His life for us. Challenge accepted. Returning to the joy and hope that is restored in Jesus washed over me like pouring down rain in a drought. 


In the spirit of returning to joy and in the Spirit of God I was singing my heart out, like no one else was there but God Himself. I know this is how we're to worship every time, but I must confess that I am not a regular partaker in the solely singing to God action. 


But wait, it gets better! Remember how I told you that I didn't like the sound of my own singing voice? Well enter me. By myself. In my car. Radio off. Completely overcome with joy. And I cannot stop singing. I literally was shouting at the top of my lungs singing to God and laughing hysterically at the thought that God finds great joy and pleasure in this Himself, which made me sing even more. 


I've posted a link to the song that I was singing here. This, I believe, will be the song that I sing the entire way to South Africa, literally "filling up the skies with endless praise". 


My challenge for you... allow God to move in your heart, to return to the joy of knowing Him and having a relationship with Him, return to the child like faith that so many of us miss, return to Jesus- the One that makes everything whole, and out of this joy sing it out- at the top of your lungs, by yourself, and let the Spirit move you closer to Himself.


Father in Heaven, 
I pray for my brothers and sisters that read this.
I pray that you would draw near to them, 
that you would allow them to throw off every barrier that 
prevents them from knowing and experiencing your joy.
I pray that you will give them their own song, 
a new song that sings of your praises, 
of your love and of your unending grace.
Thank you that you specifically created each of our voices, 
and that you find pleasure in them, 
no matter how off-tone, off-pitch or off-beat they are.
Thank you that you have given life and that 
you have freely given it. 
May the songs in our hearts, that glorify and honor you,
forever be music to your ears.
May you find pleasure in hearing each one play.
In Jesus' name, Amen. 

1 comment: